What this is about

We live by the D'Entrecasteaux Channel in Southern Tasmania. It, and much of the Tasmanian coast, offer amazing cruising possibilities. Previously, we owned an old, sturdy and fast 33 ft Huon pine sloop that we loved. The things it didn't offer - easy portability to other waters, shoal draft, beachability and the simplicity of dinghy-like sailing - are the things we gradually craved more and more.
For at least a few years I have thought that I should build an open, or mostly open, 20-something footer that would satisfy these urges. After much looking around at designs, we finally settled on the Stir Ven.
She is beautiful, fast, seaworthy, floats in 25cm of water and is designed as an adventure boat on which one can spend a few nights.
We hope she will be ready for use by the summer of 2012/13!

Friday, January 6, 2012

turnover day

Without planning it to be auspiscious ( because I don't believe in that stuff) Turnover Day ended up being on the 1st of January.
All went smoothly. I had friends come over at 11 am. Beforehand, I made cinnamon scrolls and detached the boat from the jig and got my trailer ready.
8 of us lifted it off the jig and most of the molds fell out as we were moving. We walked it down off the platform onto the grass and rolled it over gently onto two mattresses mostly missing the mattresses (lucky for the soft grass).
Then we positioned the trailer in place and as we winched, we pushed the trailer so that the boat didn't have to slide. The trailer was then backed into the shed once again and I used a laser level to set up up level.
A milestone for sure but I know I have a lot of hard work ahead of me!!





No comments:

Post a Comment