What this is about

We live by the D'Entrecasteaux Channel in Southern Tasmania. It, and much of the Tasmanian coast, offer amazing cruising possibilities. Previously, we owned an old, sturdy and fast 33 ft Huon pine sloop that we loved. The things it didn't offer - easy portability to other waters, shoal draft, beachability and the simplicity of dinghy-like sailing - are the things we gradually craved more and more.
For at least a few years I have thought that I should build an open, or mostly open, 20-something footer that would satisfy these urges. After much looking around at designs, we finally settled on the Stir Ven.
She is beautiful, fast, seaworthy, floats in 25cm of water and is designed as an adventure boat on which one can spend a few nights.
We hope she will be ready for use by the summer of 2012/13!

Monday, January 23, 2012

centreboard pattern

Right now I'm mostly working on filleting and glassing the floors and bulkheads. This is tedious work but I'm close to done and a post will be forthcoming.
As a small sideproject, I have been making the centreboard pattern for casting. Mike Randall was very generous to send me a full size PDF that he made from the plans of the centreboard. I got this printed and was shocked but also excited to see how big the centreboard will be.
I cut out the paper patterns for the centreboard shape and the foils and then marked these onto MDF. After cutting and planing these pieces to size, I glued them together and glued in slabs of polystyrene foam.
The fun bit came next. I borrowed a hot wire cutter from a friend who makes model aircraft wings using this same method. This was a 1 metre long wire connected to a power box that I could tension or slacken as required and I simply dragged it along the foils to hot cut the foam and get the shape of the centreboard.


I have now coated this with a layer of fairing compound to allow me to sand it smooth (there are surface marks because I was not so good with the wire) and then I'll send it to the foundry for casting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stan the boat is looking beautiful. I'm looking forward to you getting on the water so we can trade notes on sail trim, performance etc

    Of late I've been wishing the Centreboard was even longer and heavier as the afternoon sea breezes at the top end of Port Phillip Bay have regularly been over 25 knots. On a couple of occasions I've had to drop the main and sail on the jib alone while still making 5.5knots!

    Keep up the great work.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, thanks for the message. I can't wait to get out onto the water in this thing especially while doing epoxy work that doesn't involve woodwork!
      If you have to drop the main completely at 25 knots that's a small concern for me as we would regularly have to sail in conditions at or above that wind strength here. Do you think that the centreboard should be heavier or perhaps a shorter 3rd reef point? doing 5.5 under jib is pretty awesome. How balanced was that?
      cheers,
      Stan

      Delete